Exercising with Endometriosis - Getting Fit without Flaring Up

Exercising with Endometriosis - Getting Fit without Flaring Up | A Cup of Social

Exercise. It's a pain on so many levels. I mean yeah, I want to be fit but at what cost? All that running, jumping, lifting, sweating. It does not sound fun. And that is before taking into consideration that too much exercise can make endometriosis symptoms WORSE. Yes, that's right, it can make you hurt or bleed more. So what is a person to do?

Don't worry, I got your back. And just like with getting it on, I have tips to help you get fit without triggering a flare-up.

Standard disclaimer here - I am not a doctor or personal trainer. So before you get fit, you need to talk to your doctor and make sure you are healthy enough for exercise. These suggestions and tips are just that - suggestions and tips. Please use at your own risk.

OK, now that the disclaimer is out of the way, on to the good stuff!

Exercising with Endometriosis - Getting Fit without Flaring Up

Low Impact Aerobics
Now I am not one for groups/classes/anything with people where we all have to do the same thing in front of a mirror. So while a class at the gym isn't for me, low impact YouTube videos are. Whether you do them at the gym with a dozen or so other people looking to get fit or in the comfort of your own home, low impact aerobics are easier on the body than high impact and therefore can cause less pelvic exercise which means less pain and possible bleeding afterwards. If you are the swim class type, check out low impact water aerobics too. I promise they aren't just for older women.

Swimming
Speaking of swimming, my cramping and flares ease with a few gentle laps around a pool. If you are lucky enough to have a pool, use it. If you are like me and without one, consider lap time at your local pool. (In the Wilmington NC area? Check out the YWCA of Lower Cape Fear pool. They have classes, lessons, family swim time and lap time. Plus you are helping out a non-profit, so you get some good karma while toning up!)

Yoga/Stretching
Again, you can do this at home or with a class, but yoga and stretching are great for toning and opening up tight areas. If you have never done yoga, I suggest at least one beginners class. In fact, call before you go and tell them your situation. They may recommend a specific class for you to try, depending on what they offer.

Weight Training
I personally love my hand weights. They let me tone my arms while watching TV and without much sweating (I would love exercise if I didn't get sweaty). No weights? You can use canned goods or even your own weight as resistance.

Walking
And finally, we have the old standby of walking. I can't do treadmills. For starters, they hurt the arches of my feet (I am very flat footed) and I almost always trip. But I can walk around the neighborhood with the pups or even just around the inside of my house. When I used to work at the YWCA pool as a receptionist, I used to do (very small) laps around the office area. One lap was about 20 feet total, so there wasn't much distance traveled in one lap but when you do them off and on for 8 hours, you get a ton of steps in without thinking about it. So if you can't get to a class, have no internet for workout videos, can't swim or can't lift weights, you can always walk.

Until next time my lovelies!

-M


Check out more Endometriosis posts like this.

Exercising with Endometriosis - Getting Fit without Flaring Up | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!

Popular Posts