Sunday Self-Care Routine

Sunday Self-Care Routine | A Cup of Social


Self-care isn't just about indulging in chocolate and spa days, it's about taking care of yourself mentally and physically. This Sunday self-care routine helps do both.

Sunday Self-Care Routine

Sundays are tough for me because usually around noon, I start to worry about everything I didn't tackle on my weekend to-do list full of fun tasks and those pesky household chores. I always have high hopes for conquering as many tasks as possible, but usually am lucky to only finish a couple. What can I say? I tend to get sucked into one task, work, binge watching TV (what? I know I'm not the only one), or being crafty. However, I do try to take time out for a little self-care on Sundays to help relax me before the work week officially starts.

Sunday Self-Care Routine | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!

My routine usually consist of making sure my work bag is ready to grab, prepping my breakfast (currently I'm hooked on plain Greek yogurt with some frozen fruit I've thawed and it's juice, and a dash of cinnamon and ginger) and if I'm staying at work all day on Monday, lunch, making sure I've either laid out my clothes or at least have an idea of what I'm wearing, and a relaxing shower complete with a few DIY beauty treatments including a simple warm olive oil hair mask, charcoal face mask and coconut oil body scrub.

To start my self-care portion of my routine, I turn on some music (yes, this is a required step), then I heat about a quarter cup of olive oil in the microwave until it's warm to the touch but not hot (you don't want to burn your skin or hair). Then I massage it into my hair and scalp, paying close attention to my tips as they are drier due to bleaching/coloring. Finally I pile all my hair on top of my head and cover it with a shower cap/plastic wrap/clean plastic grocery bag/whatever is handy and then a towel (preferably fresh from the dryer but not necessary) for 30 minutes prior to washing it.

A few minutes before my shower, I apply my homemade face mask. Because coconut oil is one of only three ingredients in the mask, it does melt, so I suggest having a washcloth handy to keep your clothes safe (it also doubles as a face wash, so you can skip the mask and just wash your face with it instead). I like to keep the charcoal mixture and my coconut oil stored separately and mix them in my hand just prior to application. It lets me control the amount of oil or charcoal I use based on what my skin needs that day. If my skin has any breakouts or I've worn a lot of makeup or been outside a lot during the week, I use more charcoal. But if my skin is drier or clear, I use less charcoal. (Recipe below.)

And finally, once I'm about to hop in the shower, I use another coconut oil DIY treatment in the form of body scrub. Sometimes it's a coffee scrub, others it's a sugar scrub and others it's a salt scrub. It all depends on my skin's needs and what's in my cupboard. I don't have a set recipe for any of these, it's really keep adding either oil or the exfoliant until I get the amount I want in the consistency I need. I simply warm my coconut oil until it's melted and mix in the coffee grounds, sugar and/or salt until it's perfect. You can use olive oil instead and I have, I just like the smell of coconut oil. The only word of caution is if you are planning on shaving after using this, your razor blade will dull and be unusable afterwards. So just be prepared to replace your razor blade or shave first and scrub up second.

After I'm covered in oil from head to toe, I hop in the shower and sing along loudly to the music (because we are all rock stars when singing in the shower) while de-oiling and reflecting. When I'm done, I make sure that the shower isn't an oil slick but usually the combination of shampoo and soap have worked their magic to prevent this.

By taking time out of my Sunday for a little self-care, I feel better prepared for the week mentally as well as physically. The hair mask helps keep my hair soft while the face mask and body scrub exfoliate and moisturize my skin. Mentally, having this time to unwind a bit and not be bothered by my furbabies (aside from the kitten who pushes her way in bathroom or cries at the door until the water comes on, then she flees) is critical to feeling like I'm actually ready for the week. It gives me time to reflect inwardly on whatever my mind needs to focus on. Sometimes I think about upcoming tasks or appointments I need to handle, other times I try to work through any problems I'm dealing with (either internal or external ones), and sometimes I just connect with myself and focus on my spiritual health. This allows my self-care time to do double duty by allowing me to focus both on my physical and mental well-being. Self-care isn't just about indulging in chocolate and spa days, it's about taking care of yourself mentally and physically. The time I spend doing this helps me do both.

DIY Charcoal Face Mask

Ingredients
Equal activated charcoal (I buy capsules and pull them apart) and baking soda
Coconut oil
Air-tight storage jar

Mix the charcoal and baking soda in a bowl until blended. If storing separate from coconut oil, once mixed, place in a jar and store for up to 3 months. Otherwise, add coconut oil and mix until well incorporated. Melting the oil can help ensure everything is mixed well. Store in the jar for up to 3 months. To apply complete mixture, simply scoop out the amount needed. If storing separately, mix the desired amount of dry mix to the desired amount of oil until well mixed and apply. (I do this in my hand so the oil melts easily but it can be melted in a bowl and mixed together, just be sure not to overheat the oil or you will burn your skin.) Leave the mask on for 10 minutes (it will run, keep a towel or cloth handy for drips) or use as a face scrub/wash and apply, rub in and wash off.

Did you have a self-care routine and love it? Tag me on IG or Twitter (@cup_of_social) to share it with me!

Until next time my lovelies!

-M


Check out more Health & Wellness posts like this.

Sunday Self-Care Routine | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!


Popular Posts