Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast

Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast | A Cup of Social

Before we start - even though I use and name-drop Udi's and Silk products in this post, this post is not sponsored in any way. I just happen to be gluten-free and milk-free so I make delicious goodies using products my body and taste buds can enjoy! Also, even though this is called "egg-less," it only refers to the ingredients I added. The bread does include eggs. If you are truly egg-free, swap the bread with one of your choosing.

Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast

Over the weekend we were hit with a few rainy days that made us hit the pantry instead of the store for dinner ideas and I think we were pretty successful in creating a few good pantry/freezer use-up meals (or as I like to call them "free meals" since they are unplanned and I don't have to buy anything extra to make them). BUT we didn't really have anything sweet or dessert-ish and the hubby likes a little something sweet after dinner. Low on heavy cream (which my body can tolerate), I didn't want to make us coffeehouse-style coffees and use up the last of the cream. That was needed for the morning...but Phil was craving something chocolaty. He found a half bag of marshmallows and the chocolate and caramel syrups usually used for our fancy coffees and asked what I could make out of it all.

In my head, I flashed back to a few weeks ago when I made what I loving dubbed "Sexy S'mores" (due to their sweet sexiness, not for how you felt after eating them) when I topped french toast cereal with Nutella and marshmallows and baked it all in the oven...but I was out of cereal. I did however have a half loaf of Udi's Gluten Free Delicious Soft White Sandwich Bread in the fridge as well as a mostly full bottle of Silk Nog, because I love all the things eggnog flavored, even though I have to skip the real stuff. However, I did not have eggs, bananas or anything I thought I could use to turn them into french toast.

Not to be discouraged, I Googled egg-less french toast and finally after a few recipes found one that had all the ingredients I had on hand. Granted they used milk and regular bread, but I just needed the basics and knew I could figure out the rest on my own. Instead of eggs, they used cornstarch to thicken the batter mix before dunking their bread. Simple enough!

So into the kitchen I went and about 30 minutes later, I was pulling out what I can only refer to as fully loaded french toast. Two slices of bread each (in my defense, gluten free bread slices are ALWAYS like 1/3 of normal bread sizes) topped with caramel and chocolate sauces and marshmallows, all baked in the oven until the marshmallows were browned, warm and gooey then sprinkled with a little sea salt to help cut the sweetness.

Seriously though, how good does that look?????

I am fairly certain we both died and went to sugar heaven that night. It was divine and I had to brush my teeth for like 10 minutes before bed to kill all the sugar in my mouth. Now, I do not advocate regularly eating that much sweetness in one setting before bed and without some sort of exercise. But it was raining, I am recovering from surgery and I wanted, no NEEDED to eat both slices. The best part of it all? The butter and nog flavors came through LOUD AND CLEAR. The butter cut through the sugar while the spices from the nog made my mouth sing. Knowing this, I had to try the french toast as simple french toast. And you know what? I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. So now I am sharing my Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast with you!

Recipe Disclaimer - I don't like hard and fast recipes. They are zero fun to make. I do however like guidelines for my creations so I don't forget an important element. Don't think of this as a hard and fast recipe, but instead guidelines to make it awesomely yours! 


Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast

Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast | Tice at Home
Easy Egg-less Nog French Toast served with a side of
turkey bacon and drizzled with maple syrup
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Easily Made Vegan with Swaps

Servings - 2

Ingredients

  • 6 slices Udi's Gluten Free Delicious Soft White Sandwich Bread (Contains eggs, can be swapped for any thick/dense bread of choice)
  • 1 cup Silk Nog Original (Contains soy)
  • 1 tbsp Cornstarch
  • Pinch each Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Ground Cloves (Have Pumpkin Spice powder left from Thanksgiving? Use a few pinches of that instead!)
  • 3-4 tbsp Butter, divided (Can swap for dairy-free/vegan buttery spreads but I haven't tested them)
Steps
  1. Toast bread lightly in toaster to dry out using lightest setting (if using frozen Udi's bread, use the next setting up) or leave bread out overnight to dry out. This will allow the nog mixture to soak into the bread without it falling apart.
  2. Mix nog, cornstarch and spices in a shallow pan until cornstarch is dissolved/
  3. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat.
  4. Dip bread 1-2 pieces at at time into nog mixture being sure to coat each side and allowing the mixture to soak up some of the mixture. Shake off excess and add to hot skillet.
  5. Flip bread once it starts browning, adding more butter 1/2 tbsp at a time/as needed (typically 1-1 1/2 tbsp is perfect for 2 slices of Udi's bread). Cook until both sides are golden brown.
  6. Repeat Steps 3-5 for remaining slices of bread.
  7. Serve warm and top with your favorite french toast toppings (I suggest maple syrup/honey, powdered sugar or whipped cream) and the good stuff like bacon, coffee and fruit on the side.
Did you make this and love it? Tag me on IG or Twitter (@cup_of_social) to share your meal with me!

Until next time my lovelies!

-M

Check out more Home Life posts like this.

Easy Egg-Less Nog French Toast | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!

Popular Posts