3-Can Chili, A Gluten Free Vegetarian Pantry Meal

3-Can Chili, A Gluten Free Vegetarian Pantry Meal | A Cup of Social

This 3-can chili is a filling meal that costs less than $2 for 2 ample adult portions. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free.

Last Sunday was yet another freezing cold day in my corner of the world. It wasn't too bad to start, a little drizzle but nothing too bad. So we decided to go do a little shopping at Old Navy, Belk, Barnes and Noble and the local record shop to kill a few hours and spend a few gift cards (after all, who doesn't like shopping for free?) Sometime during our trip, the weather turned pretty brutal though. We walked out of Belk and I swear the temp dropped ten degrees and both the wind and drizzle picked up. Y'all, I'm a southern girl. I don't do well in the cold and even though I layer my clothes, that wind and cold got in my bones.

This 3-can chili is a filling meal that costs less than $2 for 2 ample adult portions. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free.
Veggie-Filled Chili (A Great Way to
Add More Vegetables to Your Meal!)
So we decided to skip getting coffee via the Port City Java drive thru and instead opted for a cup in our cozy home. Going home early also meant my idea for Carrabba's carry out was not happening as we usually have just enough introvert energy for one trip out into the world per day. So I hit the pantry for a meal idea that would be filling, warm and easy. Since we had already purchased everything for a few go-to meals, I knew we had plenty to choose from and I went for chili. Since it was a last minute dinner, I didn't have any meat thawed but I did have 2 cans of chili beans and a can of diced tomatoes. Boom. 3-can chili. This is probably my cheapest meal for two to date. The beans were $0.50 each and the tomatoes $0.36 (total = $1.36 plus tax). My old 4-can chili cost $1.86 to make, so there was a $0.50 savings, which while not much means I have a little extra to go towards something else like a cucumber for snacking.

You can round out this meal however you want to by serving it over baked potatoes, salad, corn chips or in a bowl topped with avocado, onions and hot sauce. You can add additional seasonings, veggies or proteins to the chili while it's heating up. I usually add cumin, chili powder and onion to mine but I've also done just the 3 cans, nothing extra. You use whatever you have on hand and like, because as always, my recipes are just the starting point for you to make it all your own!

Me being me, I ate my dinner before I thought to get a photo. Go figure. So my images are ones of past chili dinners.

3-Can Chili Recipe

This 3-can chili is a filling meal that costs less than $2 for 2 ample adult portions. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free.
Chili with Corn Chips and Ground Turkey
Ingredients
2 cans Chili Beans (can use one can black/pinto/kidney beans and one can chili beans)
1 can Diced Tomatoes (can use plain, fire-roasted, chili, onion and garlic, etc.)
Salt/Pepper/Seasonings to Taste
Toppings of Choice (I like hot sauce, onion, cheese and corn chips)

Add all three cans into a 2+ quart pot and heat through. Season to taste and top with toppings of choice. While this can be ready to eat in under 10 minutes, it's best if it can simmer at least 30 minutes.

Alternatives for 1 can of Beans:
1/2 pack Smoked Sausage, diced
1/2 pound Ground Meat (I like using leftover taco meat or Italian sausage)
1/2 pound Mushrooms, chopped
Vegetarian crumbles, homemade or store bought
1 can Mexican/Fiesta Corn with Peppers
Extra Firm Tofu, cubed and browned
All the Veggies!!!

Did you make this and love it? Tag me on IG or Twitter (@cup_of_social) to share your meal with me!

Until next time my lovelies!

-M



3-Can Chili, A Gluten Free Vegetarian Pantry Meal | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!

Popular Posts