Don't Let Others Dictate Your Real Estate Business

Don't Let Others Dictate Your Real Estate Business | A Cup of Social

Don't Let Others Dictate Your Real Estate Business

When I decided to start working a big box firm, one thing I wish I did was dictate my own business more. I had been out of the sales business for a bit and worked with a team lead who was VERY domineering. For example, my strengths are working with sellers, landlords and online marketing. I let myself get talked into being a buyer's agent even though I knew better. This lead to a lot of frustrations on my end as I hate the less structured nature of being a buyer's agent. I love flexibly of working whenever but I hate making appointments that I then have to cancel once I get someone in the car because they want to see something completely different. Add that to my horrible sense of direction plus living in a new area at the time and showings were a nightmare for me. I prefer to sit at a thousand open houses over 1 afternoon showing multiple homes. But I digress. My anxiety and introverted nature means I made myself miserable all because I let someone else dictate my business. My BIC and team lead pointed me to buyers and I should have said no instead of silently cringing.

When you are first starting out, it's easy to let yourself get overrun with lead castoffs, prospecting methods you aren't comfortable with (such as cold calls), or even work hours that don't fit your schedule (I once had a manager who insisted everyone be in the office 40 hours a week outside of time spent with clients). While all advice should be listened to, take it with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila. Just because someone has been a real estate agent for 20 years, it doesn't mean that their methods of building a client list is the best way for you. Instead of saying "yes" to every suggestion, random lead or business tactic, only put into practice those suggestions and tactics that feel like you. Politely decline buyer leads if you want to work with sellers or if they are genuine bad leads.

You are going to have to step out of your comfort zone a lot while working and building your real estate lead database, but how you run your business should feel comfortable and natural. If it's not, it's time to reevaluate and take control of your business. 

Until next time my lovelies!

-M   

Check out more Business & Career posts like this.

Don't Let Others Dictate Your Real Estate Business | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later


Popular Posts