Endometriosis Myths vs. Facts

Endometriosis Myths vs. Facts | A Cup of Social


March is Endometriosis Awareness Month and as an #endowarrior, I'm working on spreading the word about this common yet incurable disease. So for the month of March, A Cup of Social is going to focus on shedding some light on this often misunderstood condition called endometriosis.

Endometriosis Myths vs. Facts

Myth #1: Hysterectomy Cures Endometriosis

Fact: Endometriosis isn't always contained to the uterus or reproductive organs. While some women will find relief and sometimes even complete reversal of symptoms, this isn't the case for all women and a hysterectomy is not a cure.

Myth #2: Pregnancy Cures Endometriosis

Fact: Just like with a hysterectomy, some women will find relief while pregnant and may even find their symptoms completely subside post-pregnancy. However, many women find themselves in worse pain during or after their pregnancy. Infertility and miscarriage rates are also very high in women with endo, meaning that even trying to conceive can be a difficult, if not impossible journey for many sufferers.

Myth #3: It's Just Cramps or A Bad Period

Fact: Endometriosis pain can happen anytime during your cycle. ANYTIME. Not just when you have your period. Nor is it contained to your pelvis. If you have endometriosis on your other organs, you could have pain in various spots within your body. Additionally, endo pain is on the same level as labor pain and over time can cause you to have additional mental issues from dealing with chronic pain. Normal period pain should never interfere that much with your life.

Myth #4: It's All in Your Head

Fact: While pain can cause you to have mental issues like depression, it is a real, physical condition with real symptoms and should be treated as such.

My Personal Thoughts - Yes, It Includes Rants and TMI Comments

I tried to keep the facts clear of my opinion, but this wouldn't be a post of mine if it was completely free of my opinions, so here goes...

STOP TELLING PEOPLE WHAT "CURES" ENDOMETRIOSIS!!!!!

Nothing does. Not one damn thing. We can reduce symptoms. We can take supplements, hormones, eat nothing but a raw/vegan/gluten-free diet, exercise 6 hours a day and have a surgery every 3 months and never be cured. We do what we can to help ease our condition, but to date there is no overall cure for endometriosis, in part because we don't know its exact cause. And chances are, unless someone was just diagnosed, they have heard all your "cures" before.

I have been told to have kids, including by people within weeks of my miscarriage (still pointing a giant middle finger at them). I have been told to exercise more, including when I have been in bed for a week, unable to walk with my gut so swollen, I look 6 months pregnant and in so much pain I want to die. I have been told it's just my period when I have been in spent hours in the bathroom bleeding from my rectum and sobbing because I can't keep anything but peanut butter down but not on my period. I have almost killed my body taking pain killers in deadly doses before finding herbal remedies that worked in safe doses. I have been told all these things by other endometriosis sufferers who luckily don't suffer as bad as I do as well as "kind" bystanders.

So let's all do each other a favor. Let's learn the facts and treat those who suffer with the same respect we each would want if it was us. Instead of spreading myths, let's be accepting that no two people suffer the same way and just be a shoulder to cry on or an ear to bend.

Until next time my lovelies!

-M


Check out more Endometriosis posts or Health & Wellness posts like this.


Endometriosis Myths vs. Facts | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!

Popular Posts