Cottagecore Hobbies and Skills for the City-Dweller

Being a city-dweller, there are a lot of cottagecore hobbies and skills I don't currently have a need or use for. I can't raise livestock. Laundry cannot be line dried. I only have so much room to store food. But that's ok! It's a perk of city life that I don't need chickens, sun-dried sheets, or enough jars of homemade jam to last a lifetime. Instead, I like to focus on skills that are of current use to me as well as doubling as an enjoyable hobby.

Cottagecore Hobbies and Skills for the City-Dweller | A Cup of Social

Cottagecore Hobbies and Skills for the City-Dweller

Sewing, Knitting, Crocheting

Sewing is both a relaxing hobby and a necessary skill any adult should attempt to learn. From fixing a button to hemming pants to making curtains, it's a simple skill that can come in handy in a pinch (though I've never needed to make curtains in a pinch, it's usually planned). I like to sew by hand but I have plenty of friends who prefer for their machine. I just happen to like sitting on the couch and sewing bits together to make planner covers. While I haven't tried knitting or crocheting, these are similar hobbies and skills that can be useful and fun for any city-dweller.

Record Keeping

Whether through a journal, planner, or notebook, record keeping is another cottagecore hobby city-dwellers can fall in love with. Whether it's writing down recipes, tracking home maintenance, logging weather patterns, or planning out your garden, this information will be of value at a later date. Especially when you forget the last time you watered your succulents. I personally have home books for my food recipes, DIY recipes, notes on my native plants and herbs, crafts/projects I am working/want to do, and more. Not only do I use these books regularly, I enjoy flipping through my more decorated books and junk journals.

Container Gardening

Easier than maintaining a backyard garden, a container garden can live pretty much anywhere, including in your kitchen or living room window. You get all the grounding energies and proud plant parent moments without all the tilling. Plus any meal is instantly made better with fresh herbs plucked right off the plant.

Cooking and Baking

You have to eat and at some point in time, you should learn to make even the most basic of meals. But aside from that, cooking and baking can be very relaxing. Creating something warm and filling or cold and refreshing is such a simple pleasure that many of us rush through on an effort to move on to the next thing. Even if you can only make soup and simple oat cakes, take the time to enjoy making your meal and carry that over to taking the time to enjoy your meal. Also, homemade bread is a way better holiday gift than socks, just saying...

Woodworking and Whittling

Skills I do not have but admire are woodworking, whittling, and leathercrafting (though Phil does dabble in that one). My grandfather used to whittle and I'm sure had some kind of woodworking skill as he had a farm, and my dad is pretty crafty when it comes to woodworking. I see woodworking and whittling as the wooden equivalents to sewing and cross-stitching. Functional, handy, and a great way to pick up some extra income if you are any good at it.


When you are a city-dweller, you don't need as many skills as our more rural friends do. City-life is designed to be one of convenience. But by learning a few skills that can double as hobbies, you can enhance your life while living a bit more simply.


Until next time, my lovelies!

-M


Click here to navigate all my cottagecore posts for the month or sign up to be notified via email when I share a new post!

Cottagecore Hobbies and Skills for the City-Dweller | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!


Popular Posts