Finding Magic in the Mundane - Housework Edition

I recently saw a meme that was along the lines of be a Morticia in a room full of June Cleavers and as I hit the share button, I realized that as relatable as that is, I'm really more of a Samantha myself with a Morticia as one of my besties. Morticia is lovely and all, but Sam is the extra pink sparkle in your glitter. However, the one thing these two lovely ladies share is the ability to find the magic in the mundaneness of every day life. (Ok, Samantha added hers but you get the idea...)

Much like these classic magical housewives, I've found the best way to tackle your day is to find the magic hidden within otherwise mundane home tasks and chores. Today, I'm happy to share my tips on finding the magic in the mundane that even June would approve of!

Finding Magic in the Mundane - Housework Edition | A Cup of Social

Finding Magic in the Mundane - Housework Edition

First and Foremost - Keeping Your Home Tidy Helps Keep It Magical

Hear me out on this - would you rather spend 15 minutes a day tidying up or 3 hours on the weekend/just before company comes over doing the flight of the bumblebee? If we take the time to tidy daily, we actually end up with more time overall to do the other things we love. And we don't feel exhausted just as our friends arrive from speed cleaning. OK, now on to the tips....

1. Remove the Automation from Daily Tasks

Hear me out on this. Sometimes we avoid tasks because the automation part takes away from the feeling of success, pride or even completion of said task. For instance, I HATE loading the dishwasher. It takes almost two days worth of dishes to fill it up (and by then, I will have had to reach and pull something out to wash and use) then once it is full, you have to wait on the cycle to run before you can unload it. So I have to wait to finish the dishes to completion. Now that I have switched to simply handwashing my dishes, it takes 20 minutes to wash, dry and put away and the task is done! Additionally, I like to think on my day during this time. I can simply zone out and let my hands work while my brain thinks about...well, anything and everything! I may think about a recipe I want to try, run our budget through my head, think about a problem with work or even just sing to myself.

Oh and yes, I also recommend switching your automated coffee maker for a french press or pour-over (I prefer pour-over myself), at least for your afternoon and post-dinner brews. Your coffee will taste better, you can reduce waste, and honestly coffee that you are active in the making of makes a much more satisfying cup. And don't forget to watch the cream and black coffee swirl together into beautiful galaxies. It's its own kind of magic!

2. Cooking is Magic on Its Own

You should never feel like you have to cook, instead you get to cook! Cooking gives you the time to relax and reflect on your day while preparing to feed your body valuable nutrients. Even if you only have $2, you can make a pot of spaghetti in the time it takes to cook the pasta or make a simple yet filling chili that simmers away while you exercise, read or bake cookies (or am I the only one who likes to bake rather than exercise?).

When we cook or bake, we are both witch and chemist, standing over a bubbling something hoping a dash of this and a pinch of that makes everything hit the taste buds just right. So embrace this natural magic! Even if you can only be on your feet for 10 minutes at a time, you can still make healthy meals using slow or instant cookers (what? I still use my air fryer daily despite tip #1) or quick cooking meals that require little effort. As a spoonie, I have a stash of meals Phil or I can make with zero effort that are better than anything I can get delivered and can be made in less time.

3. Shake Up the Room's Energy

Shake out blankets, pillows, and rugs to fluff, and remove bad energy (and crumbles). Not only does a freshly fluffed pillow feel more comfortable, you are literally telling stale, stagnant energy to move and make way for new energy! While you are at it, open a window if possible, diffuse some energizing scents, and play some music to bring in more good energy and vibes.

Want to change up the energy even more? Try keeping pillows, blankets, and rugs that are seasonal and can be updated regularly. I have found lots of cute blankets, rugs, and knickknacks for $5 or less at Walmart, Target, Five Below, and Dollar Tree. You can donate or sell old items you no longer need that are in good condition, upcycle other items or just store them until next time you need a refresh.

4. Use Products You Love

Maybe it's fancy soap or dish gloves. Or maybe you love vintage aprons (I personally would love a 1940s style!). Or maybe it's homemade cleaners. Whatever it is that makes you excited to tackle chores, use it! If you are excited to use something or it makes the task more enjoyable, you will naturally have the desire to use it often.

For me it meant updating my kitchen a bit, I invested in a gel mat to stand on while cooking and washing dishes, I have a soap-filled scrub brush for quick wash-ups, and I took my mom's old bamboo drying rack that perfectly holds a day's worth of dishes. Additionally, we have other products around the house that makes us eager to clean up. Phil has a clothes rack that drys clothes quick and we have a cordless vacuum that we adore so much, we may fight over who gets to vacuum. Even making vinegar and baking soda volcanoes to flush drains is a silly thing that makes us enjoy an otherwise boring task a bit more.

5. Give Thanks

Whether you are the praying type or not, take a second while cleaning your home to give a word of thanks for the fact you have a home. Homes are a luxury many are without. By simply taking a moment to be grateful for what you have creates the opportunity for more gratitude, positivity, love, and abundance.

If you are so inclined, bake some cookies and set the plate out on the counter for the day. Each cookie you nibble on can be a simple reminder of how blessed your life is. And let's be honest, homes absorb the energy of those living in them and reflect it back, so let your home absorb cookie energy! It's the best kind of good energy to have reflected back in your life.

Need a quick cookie recipe? Try my chocolate chip peanut butter cookies!


I hope these tips help you bring a little magic into the mundaneness that is housework.

Until next time, my lovelies!

-M


Check out more Home Life posts like this.

Finding Magic in the Mundane - Housework Edition | A Cup of Social
Pin Now for Later!


Popular Posts